Van Riper & Nies Attorneys

Fighting Battles for Injured Contractors

Tips to follow after an injury sustained working in Iraq or Afghanistan when filing a compensation claim with the Department of Labor Division of Longshore - Defense Base Act. 

Nationwide Veteran-Owned Defense Base Act Law Firm - 877-DBA-LAW1

Call Nationwide 772-283-8712

By Tim Nies on Google+ Profile

For a free consultation, and for more information about our Defense Base Act practice, please call us at 772-283-8712, complete our contact form, or email Tim Nies directly at

You’re Injured, Now What?

1.      Obtain emergency medical treatment in country immediately, of course. Make sure to write down your physician’s name and obtain a copy of your record.

2.      If your condition is not an emergency, notify your employer right away. It is advisable to have your employer complete the form LS-201 and give you a copy. If you are not provided the form, email your supervisor, and advise him in writing of your
injury and any issues regarding your medical condition. Send a copy to yourself. Do this even if you spoke with your supervisor in person.  If you need to obtain medical attention bad in the states, write in the email that you require medical care due to the incident.

3.      Write down the names, addresses, emails, cellular numbers of all witnesses to the incident.

4.      When you arrive back in the U.S., you are entitled to choose your own physician. Do not let the insurance company choose or suggest one for you. Ask friends and family
for referrals. Ask your family doctor/internist for a recommendation for a specialist (neurosurgeon, orthopaedic surgeon, etc.) or research online. If you need to go to the ER because of your injury, do so and let the insurance company know. 

5.     Speak to an attorney experienced with DBA claims right away.  We do not charge a consultation fee. Our fees are paid by the insurance company at the end of a case, in the event of a settlement, or after resolution of a dispute in your favor. If you do not hire an attorney, which we recommend that you do, make sure you complete and send in a Claim for Compensation, LS-203, right away to Director Richard V. Robilotti, U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Workers Compensation/Division oF longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation, 201 Varick Street, Room 740, PO Box 249, New York, NY 10014-0249, Tel: 646-264-3010.